Friday 24 April 2020

My Number One Mental Health Tip Is Nothing

In this modern age we are constantly switched on, and our brains are engaged in something. We wake up, and the first thing we do is look at a smartphone screen. We sit in front of computers which have Slack/MS Teams, not to mention emails. We "relax" by flipping through Youtube videos, and we end our days with a smartphone.

That's f**king nuts!

Depleting Mental Energy

Our attention is pulled in different directions at least dozens of times per day, which means we are constantly mentally engaged in something. The continuous context switching uses up mental and emotional energy, and we don't even realise it until it's too late. Burn out, depression and a laundry list of other mental health issues can arise.

Worst of all, we have conditioned ourselves to actively seek out those distractions. We have developed an anxiety about NOT having things to engage with.

Our brains did not evolve to be in constant stimulation mode, and this is really effecting our mental health. Imagine a body builder who only works out their biceps. You're probably thinking that such a person would look unnatural. Constantly engaging our brains without rest is also NOT natural.

What can we do about it?

Nothing

I have discovered that one of the most important things for my own mental health is to do nothing.

I sat outside the other day with a coffee. I was going to grab my smartphone out of habit, but something inside me said "I don't have the mental energy to look at that thing right now". So I sat there with my coffee. No smartphone, no laptop, no tablet, not even a book. Just me, a coffee and the sounds of the city.

As I sat there and looked out into the sky and our small garden, I let my mind be in the moment. No engaging in problem solving, no active thinking. Just me and my surroundings. My mind was able to wonder, and when I started to think about something I would calmly bring my attention back to my surroundings... Just listening to the birds, leaves, trains and traffic.

After sitting there for an 1hr, I felt mentally calmer, less tense, and more collected. My brain had more focus and energy.

I realised that for me, the most important thing I can do is to do nothing. To be more specific, to do nothing that would engage my mind. Some people find this state when they exercise, others meditate. The most important thing is putting aside some time to rest your mind.

Final Thoughts

Our modern age is full of gadgets and communication tools which require constant active engagement.  As humans we did not evolve to be constantly stimulated. Our brains and emotions only have a certain capacity, and when depleted, mental health issues may arise. This is why it is important to tune out as often as possible.

For me the most important thing I do is nothing. I sit with a coffee, no phone, no tablet, no laptop, not even a book. Some people will go for walks, others will actively meditate. Do what works for you to help your mind rest.







No comments:

Post a Comment