Sunday 29 March 2020

COVID-19 Social Distancing Is Bringing People Closer

This sounds strange, but I think at some level you probably already get what I mean.

Working From Home

It has only been 2 weeks since the UK was told to work form home. Up until 2 weeks ago, many companies were afraid of letting people work remotely. They thought that people would be less connected and less productive. From what I have seen and heard, nothing could be further from the truth.

The reality is that everyone knows this is is a tough economic time. People know that their jobs are on the line if the company fails, so I have seen a focus and determination to succeed and be productive.

Why were people distant before?

In my own personal experience, it's super awkward when 2 people are at the coffee machine and not they don't even say a word to each other. We may work on the same floor but I can't remember your name or even if I've met you. We're both probably thinking: I'm not being rude. I just don't want to embarrass myself by asking your name again. There may have previously been an awkward encounter which was nobody's fault, but it's just easier to just say nothing and then get out of there really quickly. I'm sure everyone has had this situation before.

If you are in a big company, there are people who's names you don't know, and people you have never talked to. There may even be a person who you actively avoid because of a disagreement in a meeting one time. Before social distancing, we were already distant.


How are we closer?

Humans need social contact. We crave it so much that we develop unconscious habits (some healthy, some unhealthy) to get some sort of interaction.

My personal observations...
It has only been a couple weeks, but it seems that the world has embraced online communication tools such as Slack, Zoom, and others.

Slack channels are noisy with chatter and banter. Zoom calls somehow feel more engaging and productive than previous real life meetings. Does anyone else have that feeling? I guess it is a combination of the 40min time limit (don't fluff... just get to the point), and also video conferencing etiquette. No one is in the drivers seat on a Zoom call. We're all driving.

In general, conversations seem to be more meaningful and deeper now. People seem to be more calm, open and personal. This is partially because people feel more relaxed in their homes, but also hugely because we all crave human interaction. The social distancing seems to be resulting in people being nicer to each other online. Has anyone noticed this?

I find myself Slacking and Zooming to colleagues who I have never met before.  There is a sense of solidarity within my department, and the company as a whole. For the first time in my lifetime, the world is united against a common foe, and this is bringing people together. Many of you will even notice where there was once some "professional friction", there is now the start of camaraderie.


Final Thoughts

Humans are meant to be social. We crave interaction, and develop habits (healthy & unhealthy) to facilitate interactions. Social distancing is a strange situation, and means that people are forming new habits of communication to stay connected. That social "in person" awkwardness at the coffee machine seems like it is dissolving. People are forming bonds which they would not have formed before. There is some real camaraderie forming because as humans we crave it.

It is a cliche, but distance does make the heart grow fonder.



No comments:

Post a Comment