Saturday 18 January 2020

Happiness and Management

Prelude

In the distant past, I remember having a conversation with one of the people I managed. They were unhappy about various aspects of their job, the company, etc.

I told them that if they were truly unhappy, then they should leave.

Let me explain...

Why Are You Unhappy?

There are various reasons why a person is unhappy in the workplace. Workload, frustrating processes, unenjoyable types of work, and conflict are all common complaints. But those things are relatively easy to fix, so what else is there? It can be very hard for people to open up, and getting to the root of the problem is sometimes not possible.

During the conversation we discussed that there is no perfect job or workplace. All companies have inefficient aspects to varying degrees, and there is always some boring mundane work to do. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, and for many people there are some deal breakers.

Perhaps other people like the company, but it's just not right for you. That's fine. You don't have to like everything that other people like. What you bring to the table is individuality, and ideas. You are allowed to be unhappy even when other people are laughing.

Happiness Is More Important Than Work

Happiness is more important than any job, and I don't want people who work for me to be unhappy. The happiness of my staff is more important to me than the work they do for the company.

I told them:
If you are truly unhappy in your current position, then you should leave. However, before you make that decision, I want you to try to think of ways that we can make things better. If after trying to make things better, you still feel the same, then I support your decision.


Final Thoughts

As a manager, the happiness of your staff outweighs all other priorities.

Stepping into a management role sometimes means that you need to shove your business goals and smart objectives to the side, and just be an unbiased friend.














No comments:

Post a Comment